Discussion: how to find people looking for natural horse boading?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 10 posts
Starstruckranch
Starstruckranch
how to find people looking for natural horse boading?
Jan 2 2010, 9:50 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 2 2010, 9:50 AM EST
I board horses and i am starting a paddock paradise track and i am wondering where and how i would advertise or find people that are looking for this kind of boarding? i currently offer stall board. horses are stalled only overnight and are turned out to pasture during day ,but i want to offer both natural boarding and still have stall options for others. any help would be great. Do you find this valuable?    
tangledmanes
tangledmanes
1. RE: how to find people looking for natural horse boading?
Jan 3 2010, 3:46 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 3 2010, 3:46 PM EST
Posting this thread is as good a way as any! Remember that folks looking for natural boarding want to know where you're located.

If you have a web site, post a link to your natural boarding facilities or plans under the Paddock Paradise Boarding section on this page: http://paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/page/Blogs+and+Websites
If you don't have a website, create your own page for it here on the wiki!

JoAnn
Do you find this valuable?    
Olympus09
Olympus09
2. RE: how to find people looking for natural horse boading?
Jan 4 2010, 7:03 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 4 2010, 7:03 AM EST
Do you have a local "general" horse website/chat boards? Here in New England, we have Equinesite which is a very large online community. Often I, or others, have started threads about natural horse management and that's been a good way to find like-minded individuals.

I honestly don't know of any other farm in NE that's doing a PP (though many online have started using slow feeder nets with "traditional" management practices) and would like to network with local resources if possible. I will post a chat about this on Equinesite and see what kind of response I get.

For the last few years, I did search for PP boarding opportunities online but never found one near me. So we bought a farm and made our own. But I too would like to open our farm up to boarders in a year so will be in the same boat as you. Ironically, I've had people ask to board with us now simply because we feed free-choice (slow feeder) hay and offer 24/7 turnout - that's not common apparently but there is a demand.

On a related note: how does one plan/charge/organize for boarders on a PP? That would be a good thread - perhaps it's already here and I missed it.
Olympus09
Olympus09
3. RE: how to find people looking for natural horse boading?
Jan 4 2010, 1:17 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 4 2010, 1:17 PM EST
So I went ahead and started a thread about PP on Equinesite and it's gotten very few comments though a fare number of looks. The comments are very interesting and demonstrate how little people know about it and how little they understand it. My favorite comment:

"I find it silly."

Check out the thread at: http://equichat.com/ under the General Chat Conference #64442

I guess there wouldn't be much of a market for PP as a boarding option in my neck of the woods. We will see how the thread fares over the next few days.

Keep in mind, in the winter, people tend to become pretty witchy on this particular board.
MNdani
MNdani
4. RE: how to find people looking for natural horse boading?
Jan 4 2010, 3:39 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 4 2010, 3:39 PM EST
Well- if this is a good spot, then I would like to throw out there that I'm looking into starting some boarding here in SE MN this spring! I currently have 4 horses at my place and figure I could easily support up to 10! I also think that Craigs list may be a good idea to advertise! Maybe also some flyers during endurance events, at vet's offices, feed stores, tack stores, horse shows, 4H events etc.... any events that would attract horse owners. You may need to explain the benefits on your flyers to catch uninformed people's attention! Do you find this valuable?    
Olympus09
Olympus09
5. RE: how to find people looking for natural horse boading?
Jan 5 2010, 6:35 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 5 2010, 6:35 AM EST
My PP thread is continuing to be bashed on the Equinesite board. There is a lot of confusion about the merits and methods of implementation. Do you find this valuable?    
Starstruckranch
Starstruckranch
6. RE: how to find people looking for natural horse boading?
Jan 5 2010, 7:04 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 5 2010, 7:04 AM EST
i seen that. i was shocked at how people are responding. Do you find this valuable?    
Olympus09
Olympus09
7. RE: how to find people looking for natural horse boading?
Jan 23 2010, 4:05 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 23 2010, 4:05 PM EST
Me too. It was pretty discouraging. Thank goodness I have my own place now - clearly it would be hard to find a PP to board at in my area. Do you find this valuable?    
Starstruckranch
Starstruckranch
8. RE: how to find people looking for natural horse boading?
Jan 24 2010, 3:27 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 24 2010, 3:27 AM EST
I think people are not really under standing how it works. I set up my track and no one was really interested in learning about it and now i have 8 horses on it. The boarders horses that are on the track have made a huge improvement and the owners love it now that they understand it and have seen the improvement of the horses. Old habits die hard and people do what every one else is doing and they don't even understand why except that it is easier on the owner ,not what is best for the horse. I will never go back to stalling my horse. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
tangledmanes
tangledmanes
9. RE: how to find people looking for natural horse boading?
Jan 24 2010, 6:28 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 24 2010, 6:28 AM EST
"I set up my track and no one was really interested in learning about it and now i have 8 horses on it. The boarders horses that are on the track have made a huge improvement and the owners love it now that they understand it and have seen the improvement of the horses. I will never go back to stalling my horse. "
Fantastic! You sure didn't waste any time setting up that PP, and I'm so glad to hear that your current boarders can see and appreciate the improvements. :-)

You may want to fill out a column in the FAQs on Tracks page, too. http://paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/page/FAQs+on+Tracks It seems to be 'on track' to becoming a resource for locating natural boarding, as well as helping folks get an idea of how to set up their own PP tracks.

JoAnn